Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I passed!

Now I'm an official Ph.D. candidate. Does that sound good? Maybe I should knit a sweater to celebrate....


Unfortunately, my imminent move takes the edge off my relief. While I'm looking forward to the good things that will accompany my move (family, old friends, a bigger living space, the loveliness of the northwest, family, etc.), I also have to face the parts of moving that make me sad (leaving my new friends, stress, packing, looking for a new place, feelings of displacement, leaving my Santa Cruz community, etc.). This is a really lovely little spot to live. Oh well, such is life.


My sister still doesn't know where she and the band she is touring with are going to play tonight. We may just takeover a space on campus and call it guerrilla music.

9 comments:

Corrie said...

Again, congratulations!!

Sorry I couldn't have dinner with you guys yesterday! I didn't feel right leaving Cody in the car.

We will all miss you but thanks to blogs and email I think we will be able to keep in touch!

http://corrieann.blogspot.com/

Batty said...

Congratulations! Passing that exam is a huge milestone, it's the point at which profs begin to consider you more of a colleague and less of a glorified undergrad. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel sad! All of your new friends are going to miss you, but we are all happy that you will be thriving in your old town near family and old friends. But......you'll always have a community of Amanda-cheerleaders wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

We are all proud of you. PHD sounds good but wait and see how it sounds when youre through!
Apple

Anonymous said...

Wow! Fantastic news! Welcome to the scary world of PhDs... :)

kungfuramone said...

Good job, dude. Everyone knew you'd rock the defense like a hurricane.

Liz said...

Congratulations, now you're ABD!

Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations! We're all proud of you! I'll be thinking about you very warmly, or even hot, because this year I go to TA Yiddish Summer Course too. I'm leaving tommorow, so now I'm packed and ready to go. Unfortunately - neither you nor Bartek will be there with me, so I'm not so glad as I could be. But nevertheless I'm sure I'll have great time. More info from hot and sunny Israel soon ;)

Miss Kalendar said...

It's awful to think about you leaving.

I don't know what I am going to do without your sweetness around.....

But you are going to be awesome wherever you go, so I will just have to find ways to be around you.

- Erin