Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Plushy womb

Ok, I didn't knit this one, but I have to post a picture of it.


I took this picture a few weeks ago of the plushy womb (pattern from Knitty) that Laura made (she's one of the women from my new knitting group). Laura is a doula and was interested in the pattern for a while, but she wasn't very experienced reading knitting patterns. I helped her a little (she caught on quickly), and she thanked me with some reusable menstrual pads. I haven't tried them yet, but I couldn't resist their charm when she offered them to me: one has really cute pictures of cowgirls and the other one says "wake up and smell the coffee."

Anyway, the pictures of my new little nephew in my last post made me think about the mind-blowing amazingness of childbirth, and that reminded me that I'd forgotten to post this picture. Soon I'll post some pictures of my newest FO.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I am such a fan of reusable pads. Cute womb!

Anonymous said...

Are those re-usable pads home-made? Cute fabric. I like the border stiching too.
Be sure the cotton is organic though! There is a lot of talk indicating that the pesticides in the cotton used in tampons may be one of the factors attributed to reproductive health problems.

I must admit, the womb does not look as scary now that it is finished and stuffed. I think it was the idea of a womb that freaked me out.

Speaking of "freak-outs"....I turned in my QE nomination form yesterday. 4 weeks to turn everything in, and 7 weeks to the test.

Amanda said...

Yes, those pads are home-made. Laura sews them.

New Knitter, don't worry: you will be wonderfully brilliant in your QE. I have no doubt.

Batty said...

Oooh, do reusable menstrual pads actually work? The one thing that has kept me from trying them so far is the idea of going to work when I'm having a... copious day, one might say, and having to change. Where does one put the other pad? I'm not standing in the office bathroom washing pads. But I like the idea of reusable ones.

Domenica said...

Hey Amanda, sorry for not showing up for your group. Will you be meeting this next Sunday at 3?

Anonymous said...

Carry a sturdy zipper bag with you for your used pad. Roll it up, zip in the bag, slip it in your purse and your off. You can also use a separate cosmetic type case or cloth drawstring bag to keep it "hidden"