Sunday, October 29, 2006

Favorites

The always charming creator of Friknits is soliciting fellow knitters to share their favorite finished objects. Upon reading her post I immediately wanted to join the fun, but I don't have pictures of many FOs on my blog. In fact, there's only one, and it was back in June. I guess that's what I get for knitting a blanket...

Anyway, I've never been good at ranking favorites. As a small child I remember being nervous if I had a favorite stuffed animal (what if it hurt the other animals' feelings?). Even now I abhor surveys where I have to rate things by numbers (How do you feel? 1-10), and I don't really believe in grading (even though I've been responsible for determining my students' grades for the past 3 years). It's not that I don't think some things are better than others; it's that people often don't discuss what characteristics they ascribe the most value to. Thus I want to clarify how I chose my "favorite." Was it be based on the yarn or pattern? Or, perhaps the utility or attractiveness of the finished item? Hmmm.

Here are the criteria for my "favorite":

1) difficulty of project and effort invested;
2) how much I learned while making it;
3) pride in finished results.

Without further ado:



I made this baby sweater and matching tam using a pattern from an old issue of Interweave Knits. My family sent pictures last winter after my little niece grew big enough to wear the outfit her aunt sent. I love these pictures (so cute!), but you can't see the sweater design too well. It crosses over in front and buttons on top of the shoulders. Plus, the pattern uses plain stockinet, ribbing, and seed stitch.


In one picture she looks like she's about to take a bite out of the hippo. It makes me smile. The ability to make people smile should also be on my list....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oF COURSE YOUR FAVORITS ANNIMAL WAS AN ELEPHANT, WASN'T IT.
CAN'T YOU CONSIDER EACH FISH AS BEING COMPLETED?
WEATHER IS GETTING COLDER NOW. RAIN STARTING AND NEVER QUITING.
COMMENTING ON YOUR BLOG IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET A MESSAGR OUT TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD. MY E=MAIL ISN'T WORKING.

LOVE YA
APPLE JACK
DAN TOO