Friday, July 21, 2006

More holy places

Well, as I am in the "holy land," I am visiting holy places. I already posted a picture of the Western Wall, so now I want to show you some of the Muslim and Christian sites.

This is a beautiful mosque across from one of the beaches near downtown Tel Aviv:


When I was in the Old City of Jerusalem last Sunday, Esther and I were walking in the Muslim Quarter, and we just happened upon the entrance to the courtyard around the Dome of the Rock. We couldn't enter, but we were able to take pictures through the entry. We felt very luck to be there.


The most holy place in the Old City for Christians, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, is rather unassuming from the outside, but inside is a dark, incense filled maze of elaborately decorated areas for different Christian groups to prey:


The building is supposed to be built on the spot where Jesus died, as depicted in this fresco which greets visitors as they arrive.


And, for fun, a picture of Bartek and me waiting for the bus:

No comments: